The guys over at Malwarebytes do an excellent job and their latest software, the all-in-one Malwarebytes 3, is really strong. Unfortunately, by trying to do too much, they sometimes annoy their own customers.
If you have Mlawarebytes 3.0.6 installed, you may have noticed you can't update it anymore - and this has been going on for a few days. While trying to stop the pirating of their software, the MB programmers made a mistake.
The fix is simple, but kind of annoying if you want to update too often. Here are the steps to successfully update MB:
- Backup your license file located here (in Windows 7 x64): C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\config\LicenseConfig.json
- Replace your hosts file with a clean version by following these instructions
- Restart Malwarebytes - your Premium version will go back to being a Free version and all shields will be deactivated
- It will update just fine
- Close Malwarebytes
- Replace the newly generated "LicenseConfig.json" file with the one you backed up
- Start Malwarebytes, start all shields and enjoy the Premium updated version
This is hard to do more than once a day, so I hope the guys over at Malwarebytes fix their software. And while working on it, maybe they can tone down the memory usage as well.